Brooklyn Moving Company on How to Keep Your NYC Move Affordable
If living in New York City is expensive, at least make sure that moving there is not. Find the right Brooklyn moving company to help you make an affordable trip. Know how to deal with the common problems of relocating to NYC first. Then, create a plan to save money on moving expenses.
The Challenges of Moving to NYC
The traffic in New York City is tolerable on some days and disastrous on other days. If you’re moving to NYC, know that the traffic levels may be higher than you are used to. Be prepared to deal with delays in your move.
Everyone knows that living in NYC or L.A. is more expensive than in other parts of the world. You could spend $800 for a one-bedroom apartment in a good part of town and up to $20,000 for a multi-bedroom apartment. The rental or mortgage costs are not included with dining out, entertainment and transportation.
In a big city, you have constant noises coming from traffic, people and construction work. In NYC, most of the noises come from people, especially neighbors, who constantly walk by your home. In many places, you have to install soundproof walls or just deal with it.
4. The People
The biggest challenge of moving to a big city is the people. There are issues with crime, pollution, and noise that are all man-made. However, there are so many options to rent or buy homes that you have some control over who you live around.
Reduce the Expenses of Your Move
1. First, learn how to compare costs. If you are choosing a moving company, compare quotes from different companies. Break down each cost and make sure you are charged fairly.
2. Another tip is to move some items yourself. If you plan to take several trips to NYC before you officially move there, take as many personal belongings as you can. You pay less to the moving company and lighten the load on their truck.
3. Move fewer items to save more money. Consider buying new things when you get to NYC and discarding the old ones that you have grown tired of using. Work with fewer items and worry less about them being lost or stolen.
4. Rent a car to save money on your move. It’s easy and tempting to use a taxi to move your belongings around in NYC. You are only spending more money than necessary when many rental cars cost an average of $40 a day.
5. Find recycled moving supplies. Before starting the packing process, stock up on free boxes from friends and neighbors or ask your local grocer for discarded boxes. Getting free moving supplies could save hundreds in moving costs.
6. Book movers during the off-season. Imperial Moving, a local mover in Manhattan and Brooklyn, says that most moving companies will negotiate lower rates during slow times of the month or moving season. Keep in mind that most people move during the summer or towards the end of the month. By avoiding moving during these times, you could save substantially on your moving costs.
New York City is a great place to live and work, but you have to be wise about living there. When you move there, be wise about saving your time, money and effort. Keep the costs of moving there low and focus more on settling into the new home.